These webinars are recorded and available for purchase. Please use the Order button to purchase a video copy of the webinars below.
2017 Tax Webinar November - 1.50 hours
FBT and Motor Vehicles
- A review of the recently released interpretation statement from IRD on when FBT arises on a motor vehicle, exemptions and FBT calculations. We will comment on some of the more interesting interpretations by IRD.
Family Scheme Income
- A refresh on the rules and what "other payments" are included.
Donations, gifts and other Christmas Issues
- As we move into the Christmas season, get an update on what is deductible, what is a donation and when does FBT apply.
Cashing out Research and Development Costs
- Ensure you are on top of your R&D claim, a review of the rules and requirements, understanding what is allowable and how to make the claim.
2017 Tax Webinar October 2017
- Land developments: When the client changes their mind and wants to hold a part of the development for their own home or rental.
- Bees, apiarists and honey - all the tax issues you can think of for this buzzing industry
Part 2: Brandt Segedin Top 40
- QWBA: Income tax - whether full or partial disposal where a person contributes an asses to a partnership as a capital contribution
- LTC and associated Loss Co - amalgamation and loss utilisation? Why not?
- New provisional tax rules - Interest concession where P1 and P2 is zero in prior year(s) because:
- Standard option was zero
- Entity is a "New Provisional Taxpayer"
- Rental income vs. board - taxable or not?
- And anything else of interest between now and then
Part 3: Audit Issues & Trends
Our ongoing updates on IRD Audit Cases, Trends and Risks
- Another excessive salary audit
- GST refunds and "spin offs"
2017 Tax Webinar September 2017 - 1.50 hours
Company - Tainted Capital Gains
- Stepping through the rules with scenarios to illustrate how past and future transactions can be managed
- A review of types of non-deductible expenditure such as legal fees, ACC, entertainment expenditure and start-up costs
- What you need to remember about the LTC changes for 1 April 2017
Group Company Transactions
- Common tax issues when dealing with group company transactions, including advances to other companies, interest implications, deemed dividends, RWT, and grouping rules for losses, GST and FBT
2017 Tax Webinar August 2017 - 1.50 hours
Part 1: Business Sales: Traps and Tips
Part 2: Brandt Segedin Top 40
- Forestry/Farming/Agriculture - including sale of standing timber values, development expenditure for farm sales, sale of herd with the farm, sale of crop
- Holiday pay, depreciation, lowest price clause. earnout, GST going concerns and 2nd hand goods with associates - plus lease transfer rules
- QC Continuity Rules and more than 50% change - planning tip
- NRWT on Fully imputed dividends - when is it necessary?
- Real Estate Agents, restructure into companies - okay or not?
- Shareholder salary - flipping from PAYE to Provisional last minute change - three year time frame now
- And anything else we have time for
Part 3: Audit Issues and Trends
- Our ongoing updates on IRD Audit Cases, Trends and Risks
2017 Tax Webinar July 2017 - 1.5 hours
- Contractors - What rate can be used now and who can receive schedular payments,are self-employed or an employee
- GST - A refresher on change of use adjustments, backdated applications and concurrent use of land
- Budget 2017 - The run down of the Budget announcements and the proposed changes to Feasibility Expenditure
- Employee Share Schemes - What are the new rules, including more recent changes for start-up companies
2017 Tax Webinar June 2017 - 1.5 hours
A monthly update on topical tax issues
- Issued May 2017: Full IRD review of Income Tax rules relating to Trusts. 122 pages entitled "Taxation of Trusts - Income Tax Draft Interpretation Statement"
- Forestry and timber sales - carbon credits - can someone tell us what to do?
- Replacing single glaze windows with double glaze and installing insulation to meet code - R&M or Capital?
- Farmhouses and GST - cost of "P" checks"?
- IRD U-turn on Bright-line rule application to nominations
- GST and exported goods - NZ Co selling to NZ Co zero-rated, can it be done?
- More on recent LTC changes in practice
- GST registration of charities and nil outputs, OK or not?
- GST registration of charity with nil outputs . . .
2017 Tax Webinar May 2017 - 1.5 hours
- FBT - a general overview including updates on recent changes and frequently asked questions
- Land - when is it deemed to be acquired under differing situations and including application to the bright-line test
- Foreign Trusts - an update on the new disclosure requirements including changes to the foreign trust definition
- Reimbursements - what is taxable and what is not?
2017 Tax Webinar April 2017 - 1.5 hours
- Life insurance and taxation - we know about foreign super, but about life policies?
- Air BnB and similar: Does market value used by trust beneficiaries REALLY count for forced GST registration?
- GST adjustments, the two year rule in practice and can you still get assets out of GST at original cost?
- Actual Legislation: essential, practical points from the "Simpler Business" and "Closely Held Company":
- Last minute changes to new UMI calculation
- New vehicle rules and existing motor vehicles
- The final update on the "abolition" of: (a) credit current accounts and debt remission; (b) related party gains
- FBT and vehicles over 3500kg
- Transferable titles (land) Part 2 - minor or major subdivision work? or not?
- Company cars: work-related vehicles and home as places of business - "War Stories"
2017 Tax Webinar March 2017 - 1.5 hours
This webinar will discuss hot topics from IRD
- Accommodation provided to employees - how to value
- GST and taxable activities - a current focus of the IRD
- When is income from professional services derived
- Retrospective adjustments of salaries paid to shareholder employees
- PIE income and tax credits
- Quick recap: new motor vehicle rules
2017 Tax Webinar February 2017 - 1.5 hours
- Trusts crossing borders - treatment of distributions
- SME outbound structuring - options available for clients trading or migrating offshore
- US migrant issues (more important now Trump is in power?)
- Forestry rights - GST and second-hand goods
- Transferable titles (land) - GST and tax issues
- Excessive salaries - the sleeping dragon! (IRD eyes excessive salaries)
2017 Tech Savvy - Dividends and Imputation Credits - 1.25 hours
Become familiar with maintaining the imputation credit account and the tax implications of dividends
- How to maintain the imputation credit account
- Explanation of when/why dividends should be declared
- How to best utilise imputation credits
- Practical examples
2017 Tech Savvy Webinar - Provisional Tax - August - 1.25 hours
Reinforce your current knowledge and get up to speed with the recent changes to the provisional tax regime
- Overview of Provisional Tax
- Changes to the Regime
- Useful Tips to Note
- Practical examples
- Ways to mitigate interest charges (pooling and transfers)
2017 Tech Savvy Webinar - Farming - July - 1.25 hours
Get up to speed with basic farming concepts
- Livestock valuation examples
- Overview of the changes to private apportionment rules
- Common examples of farm development costs
2017 Special Edition Webinar - Tax Issues for Land Transactions - Dec 17 - 1.50 hours
A guide to taxing land, applying exemptions and things not to overlook
- What is land?
- An overview of the land taxing provisions
- Exemptions and how they apply
- Key areas to watch and examples of where these may arise
2017 Special Edition Webinar - Company Law And More - Dec 17 - 1.50 hours
What Accountants Need to Know
- Directors' responsibilities and interest disclosures
- Shareholders' responsibilities
- Solvency test and distributions
- Company files and statutory records
- Financial Reporting changes
- Changes to financial reporting framework
- Tax Administration (Financial Statements) Order 2014
- Anti-Money Laundering
- AML/CFT Amendement Act 2017
- Scope of the Act and compliance obligations
2017 SEW - Buying & Selling a Business - 1.50 hours
Practical guide to dealing with tax issues when buying or selling a business
- Structuring a sale or purchase
- Capital gains and how to get them
- The treatment of goodwill
- How do you treat leases, licences and other intangibles?
- Selling/purchasing trading stock, consumables and other revenue account property
- Other issues - depreciation, debtors, holiday pay, provisions
- Does GST apply?
2017 Special Edition Webinar - Foreign Trust Disclosure Regime - 1.50 hours
Get beyond the basics and understand the practical issues
- What you need to know and what you need to tell your clients
- Deficiencies and anomalies in the legislation
- Timelines and risks for trustees and advisors
- IRD over-reach in collection of information
- Options to minimise data collection
- What happens when the client removes the NZ trustee pre-30 June 2017
2017 Special Edition Webinar - Getting the $$$ out - 1.50 hours
Tax and legal issues on making distributions from companies and trusts
- Tax and company law requirements relating to making distributions from companies
- What are deemed dividends for tax purposes, what are tax-free dividends
- Tax and trust law requirements relating to making distributions from trusts
- What may be distributed for trust vs. tax purposes
- Anti-streaming rules for trust distributions
- Caution about potential pitfalls in making distributions
- Refresh on minor beneficiary rules
2017 Special Edition Webinar - New Trusts Act - 1.50 hours
Understand the implications for you and your client
- Mandatory and default duties, maximum duration of trust and exemption - indemnity clauses
- Trustee powers and the exercise of those powers
- Special trust advisors, trustee indemnities and appointment -discharge of trustees
- Reviews of trustee's decisions directions and jurisdiction of the courts
- Transitional provision in schedule 2
2017 Special Edition Webinar - Tax Issues for Landlords 3.00 hours
This webinar addresses tax issues for commercial, residential and "part time" landlords
- Depreciation R&M and property fit out
- Income Tax and GST considerations when buying and selling property
- The implications of how you rent your accommodation and whether you should consider restructuring short stay vs. long stay
- expenditure - practical tips on maximising your deductions
- 30 minutes of Questions and Answer is included in Part 2 of the webinar